QCTO trade test + International Diploma in Food Preparation & Cooking + Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management
This qualification has been developed for professionals in the hospitality and catering industry. You will learn everything you need to take a leadership role in the kitchen, as it covers all the major theoretical, practical and workplace components of the kitchen operation and food preparation. It also encourages students to develop appropriate and effective leadership responses to strategic opportunities and challenges which, in turn, will give them a competitive edge in a rapidly expanding marketplace.
South Africa has seen an increased demand for chefs in the industry; and an increase of uptake by learners.
The South African Chefs Association, the recognised professional body, responded to these changes by developing the Chef qualification. This will ensure that specific skills are standardised across culinary institutions. The qualification also incorporates supervisory and financial aspects.
A learning pathway is embedded within the qualification. This allows for a learner to work as a food handler or commis chef/cook during their first and second year; a commis chef/cook during their second year; while the third year is dedicated to qualifying as a chef. Once qualified as a chef, and following sufficient working experience, this may lead to career advancement prospects such as a sous chef, or executive chef.
This qualification has a trade test which is completed near the end of the three years.
The students will complete three industry placements during the first two years of their training. The entire third and final year is an in- depth industry placement with preparation for the national trade test.
This course is ideal for
Students who want a solid culinary foundation to successfully enter the industry at the level of a commis chef and chef de partie (CDP). Some supervisory functions and operational skills are also assigned to this level.
Optional Add-on 1:
- Students will have the opportunity to obtain an international qualification while still complying with the QCTO’s required assessments by opting for the dual certification.
- Students will be registered and prepared for the international examinations whilst also completing the trade test.
Optional Add-on 2:
Further to this programme, students will have the option to add the Professional Pastry Programme, which will be completed during the course of the programme without extending the programme duration.
Further, you may also wish to add any of the following to the programme:
- CTIA Innovation in Culinary Arts Programme
- CTIA Innovation in Pastry Programme
- QCTO NQF 5 Occupational Certificate: Chef
- CTIA Certificate of Achievement – NQF 5 Occupational Certificate: Chef
Please note: At the start of Semester 2, students will require access to a computer with Microsoft Office suite.
Monthly payment plans available for all courses.
Full-Time option includes an industry experience/ job placement.
- Two full sets of uniform (one full set only for part time students).
- One branded golf T-shirt (full time students only).
- One pair of safety shoes.
Knife set and roll.
- SACA Membership and student card with SACA benefits.
- Course material.
- CTIA Recipe book.
- Integrated first aid and fire training.
- Orientation week.
- All practical ingredients.
- Use of all equipment.
- Free WiFi.
- Safe parking on campus.
- International assessment fees, first examination fees, certification.
- Graduation fees (for the student only)
Theory & Practical modules
- Introduction to hospitality
- Food and kitchen hygiene and safety
- Introduction to basic kitchen equipment and utensils
- Stocks, soups and sauces
- Moist heat methods of cooking: boiling, poaching, steaming, braising and stewing
- Dry heat methods of cooking: baking, roasting, grilling , frying
- Introduction to nutrition
- Cold presentation
- Introduction to patisserie
- Introduction to costing
- Basic ingredients
Theory & Practical modules
- Prepare, cook & finish hors d’oeuvres, cocktails and canapés
- Prepare, cook & finish stocks, sauces & dressings
- Prepare, cook & finish terrine dishes
- Prepare, cook & finish vegetables & salads
- Prepare, cook & finish farinaceous dishes
- Menu planning
- Professional kitchen skills & personal development
- Food preparation techniques
- Theory of food production
- Theory of commodity resource management
- Environmental awareness & environmental sustainability
Theory & Practical modules
- Customer relationship and marketing hospitality management
- Business principles and governance in hospitality
- Human resource management in hospitality
- Procurement and management of kitchen resources
- Professional kitchen management
- Computer literacy and research
- Nutrition, healthier food preparation and cooking
- Gastronomy, basic scientific principles, flavour construction and global
- Maintain food production systems
- Implement and maintain cost control in catering
- Operational cost control
- Menu planning and recipe costing
- Theory of food production supervision
- Food preparation methods and techniques
- Food cooking methods and techniques
- Theory of preparing, cooking, and finishing dishes
- Personal development
Industry placement/ Add on Patisserie & trade test
The Academy reserves the right to change the training delivery schedule to meet the daily operational requirements and to adjust or upgrade the syllabi, study material and accreditation body in accordance to any new requirements as determined by the Department of Higher Education and Training and/or in the event of any new developments and changes within the Academic field.