International Diploma in Food Preparation & Cooking
This highly practical course covers a wide range of cooking techniques, and consists of the City & Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking.
This course is the perfect advanced foundation for your culinary career. Professional cookery, as many celebrity chefs have shown, is a highly creative activity and one that demands dedication, creativity and flair. The Culinary Arts Programme is for those with ambitions to become a professional chef and for those who would like a career in food. The programme develops culinary skills by working in a kitchen environment which will be enhanced through demonstrations and appropriate theory sessions.
You’ll learn the nitty gritty of working with specific ingredients such as fish and shellfish, grains and pulses, poultry, meat and much more. This course is about fine-tuning your expertise; from sharpening your knife skills to impeccably executing and plating dishes. The course will teach you all about stocks and sauces and introduce you to catering operations, menu planning and wine appreciation.
CTIA developed this course to provide students with an excellent set of advanced skills in food preparation in a professional environment.
Two industry placements over the one-year time period are incorporated to give students first-hand experience and, at the same time, give them the opportunity to put their theoretical knowledge into practice. This includes a week at a butchery or a bakery, and a chef table where you will cater for a graduation ceremony.
This course is perfect for
This course is perfect for students who want to broaden their career prospects and enhance their basic culinary skills. Students who complete this course can successfully enter the industry as a Demi-Chef de Partie (assistant section chef) or Commis Chef (apprentice chef).
How can I add to this course
You may wish to add any of the following to the programme:
- Occupational Certificate: Chef
- Professional Pastry Programme
- CTIA Innovation in Culinary Arts Programme
- CTIA Certificate of Achievement – Professional Culinary Arts Programme
- City & Guilds IVQ Level 2 Diploma in Food Preparation and Cooking
Please note: At the start of Semester 2, students will require access to a computer with Microsoft Office suite.
Programme fees include
Monthly payment plans available for all courses.
Full-Time option includes an industry experience/ job placement.
- Two full sets of uniform (one full set only for part time students)
- One branded golf T-shirt (full time students only)
- One pair of safety shoes
- Knife set and roll
- SACA Membership and student card with SACA benefits
- Course material
- CTIA Recipe book
- Integrated first aid and fire training
- Orientation week
- All practical ingredients
- Use of all equipment
- Free WiFi
- Safe parking on campus
- International assessment fees, first examination fees, certification
- Graduation fees (for the student only)
Theory & Practical modules
- Introduction to hospitality
- Food and kitchen hygiene and safety
- Introduction to basic kitchen equipment and utensils
- Stocks, soups and sauces
- Moist heat methods of cooking: boiling, poaching, steaming, braising and stewing
- Dry heat methods of cooking: baking, roasting, grilling, frying
- Introduction to nutrition
- Cold presentation
- Introduction to patisserie
- Introduction to costing
- Basic ingredients
Theory & Practical modules
- Prepare, cook & finish hors d’oeuvres, cocktails and canapés
- Prepare, cook & finish stocks, sauces & dressings
- Prepare, cook & finish terrine dishes
- Prepare, cook & finish vegetables & salads
- Prepare, cook & finish farinaceous dishes
- Menu planning
- Professional kitchen skills & personal development
- Food preparation techniques
- Theory of food production
- Theory of commodity resource management
- Environmental awareness & environmental sustainability
The Academy reserves the right to change the training delivery schedule to meet the daily operational requirements and to adjust or upgrade the syllabi, study material and accreditation body in accordance to any new requirements as determined by the Department of Higher Education and Training and/or in the event of any new developments and changes within the Academic field.