INTERNATIONAL DIPLOMA IN PATISSERIE
This course consists of the City & Guilds Diploma in Patisserie. Pastry chefs are always in demand in the catering industry: from working in top restaurants, to creating pastries and desserts as part of a catering business, to crafting the delicate delights of classic patisserie. However, pastry and baking require a different skill set from working as chef de cuisine. This course has been developed to prepare students for the needs of industry and will teach you the fundamental skills and techniques required to master this exciting craft.
It covers all the essential patisserie and confectionery skills needed for a successful career as a pastry chef – and will also give you the chance to improve your overall culinary ability. While the course incorporates the necessary theory required, it is designed to maximise practical training and hands-on experience in the kitchen.
You’ll learn about different pastry products, and will acquire the skills, confidence and know-how to prepare various types of dough, sponge and pastry products, and produce delectable cakes, meringues, biscuits and frozen desserts. This course also covers sugar art and decorative media, as well as a module in supervising the pastry section of a kitchen.
You'll get hands-on experience
Students spend a week in an artisanal bakery as part of their industry experience. Patisserie skills are showcased at a graduation event. For your exam, you’ll be expected to wow us with an exquisitely put-together high tea. The final project is a three-tier wedding cake.
The course is ideal for
Those looking to become professional pastry chefs or individuals who are already in employment but seeking to give their careers a boost. It is also perfect for anyone who enjoys this side of the culinary spectrum as a hobby.
To continue your studies, you may add any of the following to this programme:
- Professional Culinary Arts Programme
- CTIA Innovation in Pastry Programme
- CTIA Certificate of Achievement – Professional Pastry Programme
- City & Guilds IVQ Level 3 Professional Pastry Programme
Please note: At the start of Semester 2, students will require access to a computer with Microsoft Office suite.
Monthly payment plans available for all courses.
Full-Time option includes an industry experience/ job placement.
- Two full sets of uniform (one full set only for part time students)
- One branded golf T-shirt (full time students only)
- One pair of safety shoes
- Knife set and roll
- SACA Membership and student card with SACA benefits
- Course material
- CTIA Recipe book
- Integrated first aid and fire training
- Orientation week
- All practical ingredients
- Use of all equipment
- Free WiFi
- Safe parking on campus
- International assessment fees, first examination fees,
- Graduation fees (for the student only)
Theory & Practical modules
- Introduction to hospitality
- Food and kitchen hygiene and safety
- Introduction to basic kitchen equipment and utensils
- Stocks, soups and sauces
- Moist heat methods of cooking: boiling, poaching, steaming,
- braising and stewing
- Dry heat methods of cooking: baking, roasting, grilling , frying
- Introduction to nutrition
- Cold presentation
- Introduction to patisserie
- Introduction to costing
- Basic ingredients
Theory & Practical modules
- Techniques & skills in producing frozen, cold & hot desserts
- Techniques & skills in baking & baked products
- Techniques & skills in producing fermented dough products
- Techniques & skills in producing decorative items & display products
- Techniques & skills in producing paste products & petit fours
- Food safety practices in the preparation, service & storage of food
- Kitchen organisation
- Supervising the pastry section