International Diploma in Patisserie
This course consists of the CTH Diploma in Professional Cookery – Confectionery and Patisserie. Pastry chefs are always in demand in the catering industry: from working in top restaurants, to creating pastries and desserts as part of a catering business, to crafting the delicate delights of classic patisserie. However, pastry and baking require a different skill set from working as chef de cuisine. This course has been developed to prepare students for the needs of industry and will teach you the fundamental skills and techniques required to master this exciting craft.
It covers all the essential patisserie and confectionery skills needed for a successful career as a pastry chef – and will also give you the chance to improve your overall culinary ability. While the course incorporates the necessary theory required, it is designed to maximise practical training and hands-on experience in the kitchen.
You’ll learn about different pastry products, and will acquire the skills, confidence and know-how to prepare various types of dough, sponge and pastry products, and produce delectable cakes, meringues, biscuits and frozen desserts. This course also covers sugar art and decorative media, as well as a module in supervising the pastry section of a kitchen.
Hands-on experience: Students spend a week in an artisanal bakery as part of their industry experience. Patisserie skills are showcased at a graduation event. For your exam, you’ll be expected to wow us with an exquisitely put-together high tea. The final project is a three-tier wedding cake.
This course is ideal for: Those looking to become professional pastry chefs or individuals who are already in employment but seeking to give their careers a boost. It is also perfect for anyone who enjoys this side of the culinary spectrum as a hobby.
How can I add to this course
To continue your studies, you may add any of the following to this programme:
- Professional Culinary Arts Programme
- CTIA Innovation in Pastry Programme
- CTIA Innovation in Culinary Arts Programme
(only if the Professional Pastry Programme has been completed)
- CTIA Certificate of Achievement – Diploma in Confectionary and Patisserie
- CTH – Level 3 Diploma in Confectionary and Patisserie OR City & Guilds IVQ Level 2 Diploma in Patisserie
Please note: At the start of Semester 2, students will require access to a computer with Microsoft Office suite.
Theory & Practical modules
- Introduction to hospitality
- Food and kitchen hygiene and safety
- Introduction to basic kitchen equipment and utensils
- Stocks, soups and sauces
- Moist heat methods of cooking: boiling, poaching, steaming, braising and stewing
- Dry heat methods of cooking: baking, roasting, grilling , frying
- Introduction to nutrition
- Cold presentation
- Introduction to patisserie
- Introduction to costing
- Basic ingredients
Theory & Practical modules
- Techniques & skills in producing frozen, cold & hot desserts
- Techniques & skills in baking & baked products
- Techniques & skills in producing fermented dough products
- Techniques & skills in producing decorative items & display products
- Techniques & skills in producing paste products & petit fours
- Food safety practices in the preparation, service & storage of food
- Kitchen organisation
- Supervising the pastry section
The Academy reserves the right to change the training delivery schedule to meet the daily operational requirements and to adjust or upgrade the syllabi, study material and accreditation body in accordance to any new requirements as determined by the Department of Higher Education and Training and/or in the event of any new developments and changes within the Academic field.